Thursday, June 30, 2016

Radio Girls by Sarah-Jane Stratford


Before the Internet and cell phones.

Before women were seen as being more than secretar​ies​.

RADIO GIRLS takes us back to the ​era of the ​wireless ​radio ​and the BBC.​  Loved the history.​​  Loved learning about the development of radio, the shows, and hearing that some listeners were afraid of the wireless.​

The time period is authentically portrayed​, and Hilda Matheson, a real historical figure, is ​one of the main characters.  Hilda Matheson was The Director of Talks at the BBC and always had very interesting people on her show.

Maisie was ​another main character and also ​a terrific character.  I enjoyed ​h​er spunk and how she ​carried out her harried​, but enjoyable​ job every day​. 

​RADIO GIRLS was a pleasant, educational read.​  The cover is quite charming and drew me in immediately.

Anyone who enjoys the era between WWI and WWII and sharing the lives of women and their fashionable clothing and lifestyles will thoroughly enjoy RADIO GIRLS.  All the glitz and glamour of the era shines through as you learn the history of the BBC.  4/5

This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation by the publisher in return for an honest review.





20 comments:

  1. I always think it is good to read of this time and realise how times have changed. This sounds good and i like a spunky character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is pretty spunky.

      I do enjoy going back in time, but wouldn't know what to do without my electronics. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Kathryn.

      Delete
  2. Great review, Elizabeth. I"ll be looking for this one, it sounds like it is right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think you will really enjoy it, Alex.

      Thanks for stopping.

      Delete
  3. I love to read about trailblazing women so I think I'd like this too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would like it too, Kathy.

      Thanks for stopping.

      Delete
  4. Great review. Sounds worth checking out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping, Kailana.

      Thanks for your comment on my review.

      Delete
  5. Oh, it does sound like a lovely story and one I think I'd enjoy as well. Great review! :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the characters a lot.

      Thanks for stopping, Diane.

      Delete
  6. I like this era of history - sounds like a great novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved seeing how women had to live in boarding houses and all the restrictions that we definitely would not put up with today. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Mary.

      Delete
    2. Yes, those restrictions were also shown in the Bess Crawford books (by Charles Todd) - about a WWI British nurse.

      Delete
    3. Oh yes...I love the Bess Crawford mysteries.

      Thanks for stopping back, Mary.

      Delete
  7. The cover would pull me in too- I love things set in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is awesome.

      Thanks for stopping, pilch92.

      Delete
  8. This sounds like a book I'm sure to enjoy. I can remember when radio was a major source of entertainment in our household - back in the days when TV was not available 24/7, broadcasting only a few hours a day.

    Love the cover and era,and interested in learning about the radio and the BBC, so definitely adding this book to my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite interesting how things developed. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Yvonne.

      ENJOY when you read the book.

      Delete
  9. Love the title, the topic, and the cover art! My sisters and I loved lying in front of the radio on the dining room floor with pillows we swiped off the sofa while we listened to the afternoon stories as Mother cooked supper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would do the same. You would think we would have helped mom with making supper.

      Thanks for stopping, Teresa.

      Delete